Here are other Fabrication projects I have created over the years that didn’t fit in the other categories of projects. I did not fabricate the silicone doll.
I made this starfish cutie outfit to accompany the mermaid hand prosthetic I painted. I didn’t have a lot of materials at home, such as a fabric, so I had to get creative. I used clay to sculpt a starfish then made a silicone mold out of it so I coould easily make other starfishes of similar sizes. I tied strings and glued jewels for decoration. For the bikini bottom, I glued tissue paper to string and painted it blue. Look at it, it’s adorable.
For my stop motion film, ‘Free Spirit’, I needed a tree. I made the tree out of fallen branches and leaves I collected from Washington Square Park. It was quite a mess in the beginning—giant pieces of branches and dead leaves everywhere—but it all came together in the end. I arranged the branches to resemble a tree and secured them to a foam base. After I had this bare form, I hot glued leaves to the branches. I covered the foam base with paper, painted it brown and covered it with dirt. The finished tree worked great for the film.
This was the first puppet I fabricated completely from scratch. It was quite a challenge. I twisted wire and glued them to pipes to create the armature. I then sculpted her body out of clay. After, I sewed her an outfit with fabric and a glued fake hair together to make a wig. She was a challenge because it was the first time that I had ever really sculpted. So it took me hours and hours just to do the smallest thing like sculpt one-third of her leg. But the end result was nice and I used her in my film, ‘Finding Light’.
I discovered this method to make realistic doll eyelids/eyelashes. I make them by gluing fake eyelashes to paper. Doll eyelids create a great effect when animating her blinking . The outfit she’s wearing in the photos is also fabricated by me.